Skip to main content

Latrodectus Hesperus The Western Black Widow

Hello my dears. So today is Wednesday. (In case you were unaware) I stayed up until around 11:30  last night and much to my surprise, slept until 9:11. (For those of you who are new to this blog, I don't think that I have slept that late since I was about nine.) VBS or Vacation Bible School is happening at my church this week. This year's theme is the very sporty Game On!
There is sports gear everywhere. As always, the decorations look amazing. I am helping in two areas. I am a teacher's assistant in the 1st/2nd grade class and also (this one is my favorite) I am a dancer. Five of us teens go up on the stage every night and do the dance moves to the songs. {What songs, Cowgirl?}
Lemme show you.
Song Playlist
Really fun songs. Part of being a dance leader this year meant that we had to wear a sports jersey. May I just point out that I am not in any sports? I haven't officially been in any sports since I was about ten. Naturally, I went to my friends for help. SURELY at least one of my friends would have a sports jersey they could lend me, right?
Nope. Either they were already helping with VBS or they had no jersey. I was in deep yogurt. I even asked the soccer player who's phone number I have. He is out of town. After clc I remembered that I have one more friend. Brian. The one with the bicycle tattoo. The BMX rider.  A final attempt was given as I asked him. To my delight, he said yes. After some communication errors and scheduling difficulties, his BMX jersey was in my hands by Monday afternoon. My dad seemed a bit jealous that I did not want to wear his softball jersey, but that is basically a pajama shirt. I don't think that it would pass. Anyway, dad threw the jersey at me from across the kitchen and boy was it grimy. Holy cow. The design was kind of sharp though. Black and red with grey letters. Long sleeves. I wasn't going to complain. The only thing was that it smelled reeeeally bad! I wore it anyway and looked amazing. (Despite the fact that my friend's last name was on my back.)
That night I asked him if I could wash the shirt. He informed me that I was wearing an entire season of competing Brian sweat and bike dirt and whatever else happened during this season. I had to pause and realize just how gross that was.
He said I could wash it though, so I did that selfsame hour. Tuesday morning I switch it over to the dryer to discover that those grey letters I mentioned earlier are actually white.  Now it doesn't feel grimy against my flesh and instead of reeking of 23 sweaty boys, it only smells like one sweaty boy and lemon laundry detergent. I like the scent of one sweaty boy so I will just leave it be. It is actually slung on the back of the chair I am sitting in right now alongside my VBS shirt that I have yet to wear. 
On a side note, my dad found a super amazing spider yesterday as it was crawling creepily out of my brother's toy firetruck. 

Is this not the coolest thing like ever???? I googled it, and decided that it was a female Latrodectus Hesperus but somebody decided to argue with me about this. So I must look her up again, on my computer this time, not my phone.
I am talking to you Justin. I will win this. I am the Spider Queen. 
 This is a photo I found when I googled Latrodectus Hesperus. Now for some information. Her body was about 1/2 inch not including the legs, which means she is a girl. According to Texas A&M  Agrilife Extension, female's grow to a body length of about 3/8 inch while males only get to about 3/16 inch. The description also says that females can have one or a row of red spots along the back. Typically the white side stripes are on males, however immature spiderlings also have them and according to a different website (Which I have to refind now that I am mentioning this) females of this breed do not always lose their stripes.
Alright, I cannot find the website. Here are some others though.
That is all for now. I think my dad is home from work and my siblings awake from naps. I hope you guys feel more educated. Honestly, I should give more information on these little cuties. Perhaps tomorrow. Have a great day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My New Pet Eublepharis Macularious

Greetings fellow residents of Earth. I recently had a brilliant idea. I want your opinions on this idea. Okay? Great. Here goes. My idea was that I should have a vlog that I post every so often, but it would not be like my blog. Instead, it would be a Bible lesson that I would work hard to put together just for you guys. Please tell me your thoughts on this in the comments. That would be pretty great. Alrighty. Now. Let's talk. My friends invited me to Six Flags with them yesterday.We had an amazing time going on all sorts of roller coasting rides. Turns out that two of our small group is terrified of heights. Me not included it would seem. I went on every ride approached by our party without fear. (Actually I was a little bit nervous for the Batman because my friend made it sound really crazy.) Before going to Six Flags, my mom and I had gone for a swimming/long walk workout at 6:45 AM and then had taken the kids to speech therapy (For my brother) and had also gone to the Chirop

First Post/ Finding Inspiration

As This is my first ever blog post, I thought this random writing rather suits the situation.  Enjoy. 😎   Here I sit, trying to find some inspiration for my pen to express on this page.  I close my eyes and let my thoughts sink into the depths of my soul in search of emotion.  All is pitch black, yet I can see; no, feel the dread beasts nearby.  Anger breathes down my neck while Ignorant Joy juggles knives in an effort to comfort Self Conscious who is weeping in the corner.  The more dangerous emotions I prefer to keep locked in steel cages.  To my left, Fear growls and tries to convince me to let him out.   Behind me, red hot Anger still heaves his fiery breath, singeing the hairs on my neck.  To my right, are Love and Trust.  By far the most dangerous of the group, yet also the most inspiring.  Together they conspire over an intense game of cards how they will soon rule the world.  I boldly approach them and twist the key in the lock.  They look at me with their crookedly beautif

Caroling and Christmas Parties

Hello Humans. That is how I have been greeting people since last week. You would not believe how many offended looks I have gotten. It is pretty hilarious. So you guys remember how excited I was that I was going  to put up Christmas lights with my friend on Saturday? Well it rained the night before, so we didn't do that. But! Before I get ahead of myself, I did get to go to a play at my school with LTG and his mom and my sister. It was pretty great, the play was fantastic. It was Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat and my friend-quaintance Daniel Oriano was the main character. I didn't know that he could sing and was left quite impressed.  After that we went home. It was pouring rain. Like so much rain. Saturday came. I went from sleeping to suddenly being awake. Which was fine. I believe that was the night that I had a terrifying dream. I shall relate the first half to you, the second half is just confusing.  It began with me in english class, which is 8th period. T